In 1913 Cressing Temple was bought by Frank Cullen whose father had established a successful seed business at Witham.
Under his ownership, which lasted until 1971, much of the land was used for growing seeds, and the barns and other buildings were lovingly maintained and made accessible to interested visitors.
On the retirement of his nephew, Mr. Anthony Cullen, in 1987, the estate was split up, the farm buildings and surrounding land being purchased by Essex County Council.
The sales particulars for the sale of The Cressing Temple Farmstead – 1987
Since 1987 the County Council has restored and refurbished all the buildings on the site, making them structurally sound and conserving their historic fabric and original appearance whilst equipping them so that they can be used for a variety of purposes. An exhibition located in one half of the Wheat Barn explains the history of the manor and the Templars, how the barns were built and how they and the other buildings at Cressing fit into the wider context of the regional timber-framed building tradition. One of the stables houses the contents of a wheelwright’s shop abandoned in 1929 and brought here in 1993. The farmhouse is now used as offices. The visitor centre houses a tea room, shop and a conference room. Being purpose built and heated, it enables conferences and large meetings to take place at Cressing in winter as well as summer.